What are Proactive Nameservers?
In a nutshell, Proactive Nameservers provide full DNS Provider failover. It allows you to set up different groups of nameservers from multiple providers which we independently monitor. If your primary group experiences performance issues, we update the registry for your domain name to use the next batch down your priority list.
This results in full redundancy with zero downtime. DNS changes take time to update across the internet based on TTL (Time to Live) settings. Registry updates are immediate and force an update, which means your systems will not be impacted by DNS provider performance issues.
Why should I use it?
The truth is that even the best DNS providers occasionally experience performance degradation or actual downtime. For true 100% redundancy and failover, you need to setup a fallback plan so that a DNS outage does not cost you sales, affect you network infrastructure, or impact customer experience across your online presence.
The most efficient solution requires the use of more than one DNS provider for failover, and a system that actively monitors performance with the ability to quickly switch to a backup when issues are detected. Proactive Nameservers does that both simply and cost effectively.
"Even the best DNS providers experience performance issues, but your customers will never know!"
How does it work?
All you have to do is define your primary nameserver group and at least one backup nameserver group from any combination of DNS providers such as ourselves, or Amazon’s Route 53 via our easyRoute53 integration layer. The system does the rest for you:
- Ensures the zone file information is synchronized across all nameserver groups and notifies you if any updates are necessary
- Monitors the responsiveness of your primary and backup groups for health and performance
- Updates the registry with your designated backup name server group when performance issues are detected with your primary
- Switches back to your primary nameserver group when performance issues are resolved
How do I get it?
We currently support Proactive Nameservers for .COM, .NET, .ORG, .BIZ and .INFO domain names, and we must be your domain name registrar. Lucky for you easyDNS is known as one of the best Domain Name Registrars in the market!
For new clients this means you will need to transfer your domain to our Registry, and a renewal will be included. For existing clients it’s as simple as going to the add-on section in your domain manager.
- Transfer your domain to the easyDNS Registrar
- Leave your nameservers set as they are now
- Select the proactive nameservers add-on during the sign up process
- After the registrar transfer completes, set up your nameserver groups
- Relax! You are covered from then on.
In your Domain Administration module, go to Domain Management -> add-ons and select your desired level of service.
Get the FREE Proactive Nameservers Whitepaper!
Enter your email address to download our free White Paper and learn how to achieve 100% DNS Availability no matter what happens to your primary vendor.